Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A hiccup in the arrangements.

So, bebopping along, almost 8 weeks pregnant. Feeling ill, so feeling good, if you know what I mean. Then, yesterday, a call from the reproductive endocrinologist who ran all the tests on me after I lost the twins. Turns out something DID show up in my bloodwork, but they missed it somehow.

I am a heterozygous carrier of the Factor V Leiden mutation. In english, that means I have a tendency to overclot. As in, clotting in the blood supply may be what caused me to lose the babies. Why this wasn't an issue with the Kraken is unknown. It's hereditary, so it's always been here. I am now taking heparin, daily injections - big fun there. But if it keeps the baby alive, so be it.

Still processing. Doctor's appointment in the AM, angling for an ultrasound. Will let y'all know....

3 comments:

Phantom Scribbler said...

Oh, thinking of you, now and tomorrow. With my fingers crossed.

bon said...

Injections... not fun.

Baby in 32 weeks... fine, not exactly "fun" but still- good!

Piece of Work said...

A friend of mine has that, and took those injections too. And now she has 3 healthy happy children. And I wonder if I have it too--not that it matters now! Anyway, I'm so glad they found it, and the injections suck but if they help prevent another miscarriage, it's all worth it in the end, right? xoxo